Sunday, January 16, 2011

Roots and Wings

The proud aunt had just attended her niece's wedding. Tears filled her eyes when she saw the bride in her wedding gown, because she looked just like her late grandmother. One of the great things about getting older is as we see our own children, nieces and nephews grown with kids of their own, this new generation, we see glimpses of those who are gone. In some cases, it's a strong physical resemblance. But there are other reminders, maybe a flicker of an expression or a turn of a phrase. I have a nephew who has the same first and last name as my late father, who died many years before this wonderful little guy was born. When I address his birthday card to send it across the country, it gives me joy to just write that name once again. It was my dad's name and it is now my nephew's.

My mother and father were unhappily married for many years and frequently at odds. Ours was not the picture perfect family. Far from it. I find it amazing and wonderful as I see the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of these two people flourish and grow. They have decided to live their lives in a different way, to raise their children differently, and it's as if the good in both my mom and dad is now being manifest in these little ones. That something so wonderful would come out of such pain is a beautiful thing.

As we spread our wings, we should always stay connected to our roots.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment