Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Easy as 1, 2, 3

"And if a man prevail against one, two shall withstand him: a threefold cord is not easily broken." Ecclesiastes 4:12 (Douay-Rheims Bible)

I am most comfortable in the role of cheerleader and encourager. Avoiding the spotlight, working behind the scenes, helping others be all that they can be; that has always been me. For years, I worked as a secretary, helping and supporting the executive. When I was involved in church work, it was in a group that did not allow women to have leading roles. At the time, I was good with that. When I married, I put all my energy and effort toward being a "helpmeet" to my husband and the best mother I could be to my sons. When my younger son was 19, he wrote in my Mother's Day card, "Thanks for supporting me in everything I do. Thanks for always being there for me." It was totally my pleasure. And it was right and good to be that for my husband, for my kids.

Now it is my turn. I no longer can hide behind other people. I'm not known just as someone's secretary, someone's wife, someone's mother. The spotlight is on me. And to be honest, I shrink from it. It used to be that I was afraid of failing. Now I am almost afraid of succeeding.

It's my sons' turn to encourage and cheer me on. And that they do. I have a wonderful group of supportive friends and extended family. And my two roommates and me? I refer to us as the Three Musketeers..."all for one, one for all." They, too, are at a point in their lives where it's their turn to shine. These two women enbolden me and make me feel brave. I hope I can do the same for them. Alone I suppose I could do it. One other person would make me stronger. But three of us? Look out, World! Here I come.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment