Sunday, January 16, 2011

Naughty or Nice

I just read that a four-year-old boy in Florida called 911 to report that his dad was being bad. The operator was unable to determine what his father's transgression actually was, but the little guy wanted to get a message to Santa right away. A police officer was dispatched to the house, and as it turned out the kid was angry with his dad. I must say the boy's approach was smart and creative. If there was nothing bad going on, then it's a funny and cute story.

Even the best parents have their children upset with them occasionally. When my sons were growing up, to me it just came with the territory that I would need to say no or be the bad guy from time to time. I think you have to be comfortable with the fact that the kid isn't going to be happy with you, and if it's for the right reason, that is all good. Parenting isn't for the weak.

The other side of that coin is that there is actually such a thing as child abuse, a sad reality for many kids. When I was growing up, it wasn't talked about like it is today. It was a secret. Oh, I imagine if it was blatant physical abuse with horrible bruises and burns and such, that people would intervene. But many kids suffered in silence, not knowing where to turn, not knowing who to tell, not thinking they would be believed. For some kids, it was so internalized that they didn't even know what was done to them was wrong. It was something they thought they deserved and it was just the way they lived. Today we live in a world of reality television and of many formerly taboo subjects being out in the open. You can bemoan this state of affairs, but when it comes to children thinking yeah I can pick up the phone, well I think that is a good thing.

And I'll bet that dad in Florida will think twice next time he wants to raise his voice.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment