Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sanctuary

The year I was in fourth grade was a very tough one for me. I don't know what was happening in my mother's life during that year, but her cruel treatment of me seemed to peak.

My teacher that year was a young woman who was extraordinarily kind. She impacted me in such a positive way that more than forty years later I looked her up, found her address and sent her a letter telling her what she had meant to me. We reconnected, and the next time I visited my hometown, she and I had lunch together.

I was not the only one who was having a rough time in that 1967-68 school year. None of us children knew it, but our teacher was hurting, too. Her mom was diagnosed with breast cancer before school started that year. She was with us during the day, but spent as much time as possible in the evenings and on weekends with her mother. Her mom passed away that same school year, in the spring. She told me that in that classroom, we kids were precious to her because she could forget the pain of knowing her mother was dying and concentrate on us.

My abuse was not physical, so from the outside I didn't betray the pain I went through. She knew nothing of my nightmare and I knew nothing of hers, yet we found sanctuary together. It made me feel so good that someone who had helped me was also helped by me.

Who are those who have shown you love and kindness, just when you needed it most? And have you ever let them know just what that meant to you?

Susan

1 comment:

  1. I love this!!! And so true! My favorite teacher in the whole world was my fourth grade teacher...Miss Purcell!!!!! Thank you for reconnecting with the memory!

    ReplyDelete