Saturday, January 29, 2011

Just One Person

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something I can do." Helen Keller

Experts tell us that the difference between an abused child merely surviving or actually thriving can be the presence of just one loving adult. It doesn't even need to be a family member. It could be a teacher. Just one loving adult to show the child he is deserving and worthy of love. I was fortunate, because I had several such grown-ups in my life. I owe them a lot.

I doesn't take a mighty army. One person can make all the difference in the world. As I go through my daily life, I can be preoccupied and I can also be cranky. I know there are times I've blown people off. But I try to make a habit of being nice to everyone I meet, a smile here or a kind word there. It doesn't cost me a thing, and who knows how much it might mean to that other person?

Susan

1 comment:

  1. Oh ...this is MY kind of way of being....! I love Helen Keller ..she has always reminded my of Maya Angelou!

    ReplyDelete