Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Living Large



"The odds in favor of your even existing in the vastness of this universe are so infinitesimally small that you won the lottery just by showing up. You came from the fastest and strongest of Daddy's swimmers, which makes you a champion by birth, my friend. Anyone with that kind of birthright ought to be living large." Poppy St. Vincent

"Mame" is one of my all-time favorite musicals. Auntie Mame is a woman who knows how to live large. Her nephew Patrick lost both his parents, and he comes to live with his aunt. She teaches him how to, as songwriter Jerry Herman put it, "live each living day." Great actresses such as Rosalind Russell and Angela Lansbury have portrayed Mame, but I just couldn't resist this clip with Lucille Ball in the title role. Her singing makes it all the more charming to me.

I have been having fun buying my younger son some new clothes for work. His office is fairly conservative, so dress shirts and ties come in handy. He has both the good taste, ability and money to buy his own clothes. I just love doing it. If I want to be sensible and practical, I could wait until Christmas to do this. But I have been sending a few things here and there in little packages. He lives nearby, so I could just hand him the clothes. Don't you think it's wonderful to get a surprise in the mail? He is very appreciative. The last time we talked, he again thanked me and I said, "Oh, you just wait. There's more to come! It's like Christmas in July."

Do you need a little Christmas? There is no need to wait another five months to celebrate life, to show other people how much you love them, to indulge those closest to you. It doesn't even take a lot of money, just some thought and energy, to make each day a little more special for yourself and those around you. Why wait till December to make your famous fudge or send a little card to someone?

Auntie Mame spoke the truth when she said, "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death." I don't know about you, but I think living large is the only way to go.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment