Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Bigger They Are, the Harder They Fall

"Few people have the wisdom to prefer the criticism that would do them good, to the praise that deceives them." Francois de la Rochefoucauld

The tone of the conversation was somewhat embarrassing, because the speaker was praising me way too much. Frankly, no human being is as awesome as he was making me out to be. I asked him was there some area in which I might improve, and he could think of nothing to offer in the way of constructive criticism. I got the impression that he was manipulating me for his own purposes.

I have found that sometimes the very person who lifts you up on the pedestal is the same one who later knocks you off. The higher you are elevated, the more devastating the fall later on. I didn't allow his comments to make my head swell. It is better to just walk around with both feet on the ground like all the other mortals, thank you very much.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment