Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thanksgiving

"Our enemy is by tradition our savior, in preventing us from superficiality." Joyce Carol Oates

It's the season of thankfulness. I love it that we have a day devoted to counting our blessings. If you are anything like me, your list of things that inspire gratitude is a long one. All the good things that have come my way in life, so many people who support me and love me.

And those who don't. In a weird way, should we not be thankful for what we learn and who we become, courtesy of those who are not at all supportive and loving? People who in some cases even wish us harm?

It's good to try to live at peace as much as possible with other people, but can you live any length of time and not make a few enemies? If we are to ever have any depth of character, I wonder how much it has to do with those who love us and with those who don't?

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment