Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Tzdaka

"That best portion of a man's life, his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love." William Wordsworth

I had parked my car in a lot with parking meters. After I got out of my car and put coins in the meter, I noticed an older woman walking around the lot. She would look at a meter, and either walk on to the next one, or put money in it. I figured out that she was putting money in the meters that were close to expiring. What a cool thing to do! Imagine being stressed that you were running late and the meter had run out, dreading the ticket on your windshield. Then you get to your car and discover that you still have time on the meter. Wouldn't that just make your day?

In the Jewish faith, the highest form of giving is tzdaka, anonymous charity to unknown recipients. When was the last time you gave something to someone you didn't know, expecting nothing in return?

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment