Friday, July 23, 2010

It's All Just Stuff

"The best things in life are not things." Art Buchwald

I try to limit the stuff I buy my grandkids. Birthdays and Christmas, most definitely. Occasionally I will send them a little something in the mail. They love mail! I don't want our relationship to be about materialism. When my granddaughter was 5, she went through that stage (much to her parents' chagrin) where she would ask, "Did you bring me anything?" One day when she did that with me, I replied. "No. I am your present!" Then I stretched out my arms in "ta-da" fashion. She and her older sister laughed at that one.

Anyone who has ever downsized knows what it's like to evaluate your possessions. You keep what is practical; those things you will actually use. Then there are the things that have sentimental value that you would never part with. The rest could be sold, given away or donated to charity. Why not allow someone else to have the benefit of the stuff you don't need anyway?

I was recently at the home of my son and daughter-in-law for my birthday. My 8-year-old granddaughter asked me, "Isn't it the best birthday present of all to spend time with us?" Yes. It certainly was.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment