Monday, July 12, 2010

Delighted To Be Here

When I was 16, my 24-year-old cousin was diagnosed with a terminal illness and three weeks later he was dead. It was the first time in my life where I was touched by the death of a young person. I have attended many funerals since then, but that was by the far the most heart wrenching. His young wife losing her husband while they were still practically newlyweds. My aunt and uncle, just in their 40's themselves, saying good-bye to their only child.

I once worked for a woman who made no bones about the fact she hated her job. Often when she came in to work in the morning, if someone said hello and asked how she was, she would smile and answer, "Delighted to be here." She meant it with her tongue in cheek, and who among us has not been less than thrilled over a new work day? Same old, same old.

I woke up this morning! And since you are reading this, you must have done the same. There are some folks who are not so lucky. As for me, I am delighted to be here.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment