Thursday, July 22, 2010

Hoping Against Hope

"Hope begins in the dark; the stubborn hope that if you just show up and do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don't give up." Anne Lamott

Hope stands at her bedroom window dressed in a beautiful, flowing white nightgown. She peers out into the clear, dark sky and wishes on a star. How beautiful. Now Hope needs to get a good night's sleep, for tomorrow morning she will need to get out of bed, put on her work clothes and eat a good breakfast. There is much to do!

A friend was talking to a few of us about an ongoing health issue. She has exhausted most of the traditional treatments. There is an unconventional remedy which has proved to be successful for many, but it's not covered by health insurance. The cost is way beyond what my friend can pay. There would be no guarantee it would help her, but for now it's not even an option. I felt so sad for her, and the atmosphere in the room became so oppressive, and then I thought, "Enough!" I said that there must be a solution, there has to be a way, couldn't we raise the money, have a bake sale! Another friend suggested a spaghetti dinner and the conversation got a little more light-hearted. We were all able to laugh, which always helps diffuse the tension. But I wasn't kidding. There has to be a way.

Every day I meditate on those I love. My friend is one of those people. I envision her completely whole physically. I know the odds are stacked against her and that sometimes she is afraid to get her hopes up. So I hope on her behalf. I just dig in my heels and believe. I'm not taking no for an answer.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment