Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Susan, My Susan

At work, I overheard my colleague's conversation with a customer and knew that I was needed, so I began to walk over to her register. I heard her say, "I'll ask my su..." meaning to say supervisor, then she saw me and said, "Susan." So it came out, "I'll ask my Susan." We laughed and I called her "My Karin," and for the rest of the shift, and even a few days later, people were saying, "My Susan."

I like that. I am their supervisor, which is my job and I am good with that, but if I had my druthers, I druther be their Susan. It is wonderful to belong to someone; don't you think? Oh. I suppose if it turns into some weird stalkerish, possessive thing it's not fun at all. Jealousy can be an ugly emotion. But to belong to someone, and have someone belong to you, can be lovely.

This has always been one of my favorite songs. It is an old standard, and it's about belonging and travel, two of the best things in the whole, wide world.

Susan (Your Susan)

"You Belong To Me" written by Pee Wee King, Chilton Price and Redd Stewart



No comments:

Post a Comment