Friday, June 7, 2013

Feel Good



"When you make the choice to start living as you would in a perfect world, you let the universe know you expect greatness. And by doing so, the universe has no choice but to identify you as a magnet for all  you desire." Phil Good

Occasionally, at the store where I work, corporate decides we should Improve Morale. So we got a coffee maker. This is ironic to me; that our store sells items for the home and we didn't have a coffee maker in the break room. I would occasionally bring in a cup of coffee from home, and heat it up in the microwave, which is sort of ghetto, but if I wanted coffee, this is how it would happen. My colleagues would be all, "Cofffeeeeee" as they longingly smelled the aroma. Then we got the coffee maker. But we had no coffee. This was also ironic, since we have a food section in our store, and we sell coffee. Then we had coffee, but no creamer or sugar. Then we got creamer and sugar, but no cups. Then we got cups, but we would run out of coffee. It was funny in a sad way, like I need to laugh about this, or it will make me cry.

We didn't have coffee for a long time, so my sweet roommate suggested I take some in that she had bought and didn't like. So I did. I also donated a box of tea bags, for tea drinkers. Yesterday I made a pot of coffee when I got in, and people were all excited. And we had creamer and sugar. And cups. But they were the cold cups, those red plastic ones. One of the wonderful young men I work with and I had this humorous debate in the break room, about whether or not the hot coffee would melt the red plastic. He is such a nice guy, and works so hard, and he said, "I'm afraid." I told him I'd stay there with him, to have his back, in case there was a "meltdown." Meltdown. Get it?

It is not my job to make sure the break room is fully stocked at all times. This is up to a certain assistant manager. I have had other jobs where that was part of my job description, and while I am a flawed and imperfect human being, I think I was always able to keep the whole coffee thing going. It is such an easy thing to do, but it means a lot to people.

Someone asked me later, "Susan, did you make the coffee?" I said I did, and that it was compliments of my roommate. See. The thing about me is, I try to light a candle instead of just curse the darkness. I have been on this planet for a while now, and believe me, I know that it isn't perfect. But I try to live just as I would if it was perfect. Then I ran across this quote by Phil Good, and it makes me feel good. Phil Good; get it? I love the idea of being a magnet for all I desire.

The world is not perfect, but to Susan, there is such a thing as a perfect cup of coffee. Close enough. For now.

Susan

"Feel Good, Inc." written by 2D, Murdoc Niccals and D Jolincoeur

No comments:

Post a Comment