Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Heart

We have regular customers at the store where I work. Most of them are older women with probably too much time on their hands, and by older I mean older than me. The other day, I was waiting on one of our regulars, and when I handed over her bag, I said, "It's always so nice to see you." She looked at my name tag, and said, "Susan," deliberately, as if she was trying to commit my name to memory. "Thank you, Susan. You have heart."

I have heart. I like that. Maybe she was referring to the song by Richard Adler. It is, after all, from her era. Tomorrow is Heart Day. Valentine's Day. I love the day that is all about love. Oh. I know that some say it's just a Hallmark holiday, commercialized and all that. And I know that some men are intimidated by the unrealistically high expectations that some of us women have about it. And I know it is depressing for some who don't have a special Valentine.

But it's about love! To me, the holiday is about love in general, which is something all of us could use more of, right? So Happy Valentine's Day to you, as we celebrate L-O-V-E. I hope you give it and I hope you get it back.

Happy Heart Day.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment