Monday, October 11, 2010

You Don't Know Me

I just got back from a wonderful visit with family members who live on the opposite coast. I enjoyed spending time with my brother. We had some serious conversations, but mostly we laughed. We share a gene pool, the same childhood home, and the same sense of humor. We both tend to be a tad sarcastic. Okay. More than a tad, but it's not mean spirited. It was wonderful to be with someone who "gets" me like my brother does.

He was telling me about a phrase he learned from one of those daytime television shows where people air their dirty laundry and the audience jeers. "You don't know me!" In other words, no matter how bizarre my behavior, don't judge me because you have no idea where I come from and what I'm all about.

As good as we can be at disguising ourselves, it's ironic that at our core we yearn to be known. Read the King James version of the Old Testament, and you'll find men "knowing" their wives. It translates to sex, the most intimate of all physical connections and a basic human need. To be known is the most intimate of all emotional connections, and without it we can never hope to thrive.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment