Thursday, October 28, 2010

Older and Wiser

"We come altogether fresh and raw into the several stages of life, and often find ourselves without experience, despite our years." Francois de la Rochefoucauld

For me, life is new in so many ways. I am a college freshman, barely competent at a new job, a mother-in-law for the first time, a new grandmother, and single again after 20 years. I have never been happier or felt more alive. It is tons of fun with a little bit of scary thrown in.

A man in his late 30's told me he would never again date an older woman, because he had been seeing a gal 14 years his senior and found her so irritating. She would run up against something in life and not be sure what to do about it. In some cases, she even asked his advice. He said to me, "She's older than I am. Why didn't she already know what to do?" He was serious but I found it very amusing.

Experience is helpful in some areas. But when we truly step out of our comfort zone, life is at its most exciting. All shiny and new and bright like Christmas.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment