Wednesday, October 20, 2010

One Small Step

"Have a bias toward action. Let's see something happen now. You can break that big plan into small steps and take the first step right away." Indira Gandhi

My friend's garage is so stuffed with stuff that she has no room for her car. This is especially sad because she has a two-car garage and only owns one car. She hates how her garage is. She has some physical limitations so she needs some help. I am fairly strong for a girl and am good at organizing, so on a few occasions she has enlisted my help. I think I might be crazy, because isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result?

Here's how it goes. We decide to work on one small area of the garage. We will make three piles. Keep, donate and throw away. I stay focused on the one area, but she looks at the big picture, becomes totally overwhelmed and we quit. Now if she gave me carte blanche, I could have had the garage done long ago, but it's inappropriate for me to be doing stuff with her stuff.

I think a lot of people have dreams they would love to see come true, but making that happen seems so daunting that they never get started. What small step will you make today to start living the life you've imagined?

Susan

1 comment:

  1. oh this is soooo true! one small step..progress not perfection! THanks for your always great reminders! My small step...singing again when I am not coughing thru my sentences! Almost there!

    ReplyDelete