Thursday, October 28, 2010

You Can't Handle the Truth

"I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell." Harry Truman

Recently a friend confronted me. I hate confrontation and drama and will do almost anything to avoid it. But I've learned through painful experience that sometimes you must face it and deal with it. There are times when avoiding it only causes more problems. She verbally attacked me and I calmly and quietly gave her my point of view. I told her the truth. My words and tone were not harsh, and frankly I held quite a bit back because I wanted to communicate truthfully but not hurtfully. She concluded that I am not her friend (in fact, have never been her friend) and that I am cruel. It would have been easier to just have lied to her, telling her what she wanted to hear.

The truth does hurt sometimes. I personally am at a place where I want the truth in all areas of my life. I am leaving myself wide open there, because what I need to hear is not going to always be pleasant. I hope I have the grace to hear the truth, and the courage to heed it.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment