Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Family Tree

"Do well, and you will have no need of ancestors." Voltaire

Where we come from, our genetics, our family, influences us. No doubt about that. My brother has researched our father's side of the family. The information he had was very interesting and I loved learning more about the people who came before us. It is thought that one of our ancestors sailed from England to America on the Mayflower. If I could document that properly, could I join the Daughters of the American Revolution? Would they want me? Would I want them?

I know a woman who is somewhat ashamed of her lineage, because the family name has been tarnished. While I guess a pedigree is important if you're a show dog, what really matters is how each one of us as individuals live our lives. Regardless of our backgrounds, we have all the power we will ever need to make an impact in this world. Our own personal imprint, if you will.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment