Monday, May 10, 2010

Sing As If No One Is Listening

I love to sing! When I was in fourth grade, we put on a musical. When I say "we" I mean "them" and not "me." The music teacher chose the best singers for the main roles; the others were in the chorus, except a handful of kids who were completely excluded: some badly behaved boys the teacher didn't want to deal with and me, the lone girl. I was so hurt and asked the music teacher could I not even be in the chorus and she said no. She told me, "You can't carry a tune." I cried buckets of tears over that.

She was the music teacher and I believed her that I could not carry a tune. I told myself for years that I was not a good singer. Now here's the good thing. That didn't stop me from singing. I sing in the shower and out of it. I sing in the car. Just the other day in the supermarket, Diana Ross and I implored some guy to stop in the name of love. I also have learned that she was not correct in her assessment. I am a good singer.

Your life is a big musical production, and you have the starring role. Go ahead. Belt it out!

Susan

1 comment:

  1. You just keep singing because that teacher was wrong - you have a wonderful, cheerful voice that puts a smile on my face everytime I hear it.

    JustJean :)

    ReplyDelete