Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Job Well Done

I told a new co-worker one of our customers said he had done a great job. He seemed stunned and said, "Were they being sarcastic?" I assured him that the praise was sincere and I thought I should pass it along. Now this man is new to our company so I really don't know him well yet. I couldn't tell you why he was so surprised at the kudos.

Some folks are just uncomfortable being complimented or praised. I have a friend who has taught his children that when they are complimented, the best response is "thank you." Now I know that there can be a hidden agenda, that sometimes sweet talk can be to butter you up, to flatter you, maybe to get something out of you. But wouldn't that be the exception rather than the rule?

Are you generous with praise and positive feedback? Most companies get their share of complaints from customers, but I wonder how often they hear something good. Your recognition of someone's efforts could make that person's day.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment