Saturday, June 23, 2012

Getting it Right

I was born in Pennsylvania, and lived there for the first twenty-four years of my life. This morning I am very proud to tell you that is where I am from. Earlier this week, William Lynn, a Roman Catholic bishop from Philadelphia, was convicted of child endangerment. He was in a position of oversight of priests in his diocese, and he took the pedophile priests and moved them from one parish to another and another and another, never mentioning that the new priest liked to rape children. For the first time ever, a church official has been convicted of a crime for the way he handled sexual abuse claims. This ground breaking case sends a strong message, that those who are shepherds (that's what "bishop" means) had better start doing the right thing, or they will be held accountable.

And then there is the conviction of child rapist Jerry Sandusky, on 45 of the 48 counts he had against him. Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly said, "A recurring theme in this case has been, 'Who is going to believe a kid?' and the answer is, we here in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, would believe a kid."

One in every three girls is sexually abused. One in every six boys is sexually abused. So much wrong. But right now I'm not thinking of the wrong. I am thinking of all that is right in the world. It's late, after midnight, and I am going to go to bed now. I'll lay my head on my pillow, close my eyes and remember those people on Lynn's and Sandusky's juries, those folks who got it right.

I hope they sleep well. Good night.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment