Friday, January 20, 2012

Let It Out



"It was like I was laying hold of some part of me that I didn't even know was there until I let it out." Etta James

It used to be that I did not write until I had at least some idea of what I would write about. Once I began to discipline myself to write on a regular basis, I turned that all upside down. For many months, I have been writing even when it seems I have nothing to write about. The grandest surprises have come out of this, for I have found there are parts of me that I knew nothing about, that come spilling out as I write.

What about you? What is inside of you? Aren't you excited to know the parts of you that you haven't yet discovered? How can you tap into it? Maybe not with a keyboard or pen like I do, but maybe with your voice, just like Etta James. Or a paint brush, or a kitchen spoon, or a gardening trowel. It doesn't matter how you do it, but what are you waiting for? Why not start to let it out, at last?

Susan

Etta James died today at the age of 73. Lyrics to "At Last" by Mack Gordon and Harry Warren.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! This is VERY clever indeed! Especially the end. Short yet very powerful! I never knew she said that quote or that it existed which is kind of just like the quote! I love that it can be a keyboard, pen, paint brush,spoon...What are you waiting for!!!!!!!! Very inspiring! From two great ladies!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete