Friday, October 7, 2011

Quitting Time

"We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back on the right road. In that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive." C. S. Lewis

Those who know me would agree I am tenacious. I grab hold of something, and I don't let go. Add to my tenacity self-discipline and inner motivation, and I have overcome some serious obstacles in my life. These qualities have served me well on a number of occasions.

I think it's interesting how our greatest strengths can easily become our greatest weaknesses. In some cases, I have doggedly continued on down a road that was going no where. I used to be a person who hated failure, or to be more exact, I feared it. Quitters never win and winners never quit. Right? Well, not always. Sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself is to hoist up that white flag of surrender. The truly successful and fulfilled person has the wisdom to know when to continue, and when it is quitting time. I think my unwillingness to give up when something was obviously not working could be attributed to my own false sense of pride. It's perfectly okay and very normal to fail. There is no shame in admitting defeat. It's important to learn to do that, so precious time is not wasted traveling a road to no where.

There's a time to begin, a time to continue on, but let's not miss quitting time.

Susan

1 comment:

  1. NICE! Short power filled and to the point!!!!!! Very precise!

    ReplyDelete