Thursday, July 11, 2013

Creativity

This quote is from Ursula K. Le Guin.

Sometimes the way we think of creativity limits it, as if the only creative people are the poets and the painters. We are all creators of some sort, from the man who creates a dinner from what he grew in his garden, to the woman who writes code for a living, and every person who creates a better life for himself through his thoughts and behavior.

One of the things that stifles creativity is that self-conscious feeling that maybe we aren't good enough. My first Art class in college was a few semesters ago. The course was called Color and Design, a very basic sort of class. Our professor was herself a talented artist, not that she ever drew attention (I used the word "drew." That is funny!) to that part of her life, but toward the end of the semester she showed us some of her work and it was amazing. It had been featured in various shows, and she even earned money by selling it, which is something not every artist can say.

What she created that meant the most to me, was a non-judgmental place where we as the students could create. We could express ourselves fully, and in fact, she did not allow us to criticize ourselves or be negative. I loved that class, because I stepped inside that classroom and I felt like I was a child again. One who was simply who she was, and let that come out with her Art.

My dear reader, what are you creating?

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment