Friday, October 5, 2012

Confession

I have a confession to make. I got home from work a little after 6:30 tonight and made some coffee, wanting to be alert  to do some homework. I have all online classes this semester, so it's all "home" work. Here I am three hours later, and I haven't done any school work at all. It's a boy. He has me distracted. More than a little.

I watched some TV. And when I say "some," I mean "a lot." Okay. I'll just say it straight out. I have a major crush on Tony Micelli. Don't judge. I'm probably not the only girl in the world who has felt this way about him. In case you don't remember him, he's the cutie pie housekeeper on the 1980's sitcom "Who's the Boss?" You may be thinking, oh yes, Tony Danza. No. I am not crushing on Tony Danza, the actor, the actual human being. I heart Tony Micelli.

It's funny, because when this program was on prime time television (1984-1992) I rarely watched it. I thought his Brooklyn accent kind of irritating, and he seemed a little dumb. And Angela Bower, the woman he worked for? She seemed so uptight, and for goodness' sake, aren't the two of them ever going to get together?

Now more than twenty years later, it's all happening for me. I was channel surfing and found that "Who's the Boss?" reruns were on this new station. I started watching when they were in Season 1, when widower Tony applies for the job of housekeeper at the Bower residence. He and his little daughter Samantha move in with the divorced advertising executive Angela and her little guy Jonathan. And don't forget Mona, Angela's mother and the one who found Tony in the first place. They become this really unlikely but very lovely family. The writers were very talented in how they showed the relationship between Tony and Angela unfold over the years, in a very believable way.

It is just the sweetest show. Funny and clever and heart warming, and if ever two people were meant to be together, if ever two people had chemistry, it's Angela and Tony. So he's my new crush, and although I guess I should be, I'm not even jealous at all of Angela.

I also know the answer to the show title's question. Angela is Tony's employer. Angela writes Tony's paychecks. But Who's the Boss? Tony is the boss. And now I think his Brooklyn accent is adooooorable, I must confess.

Susan

"Steppin' Out" written by Joe Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment